Our award winning Seven Hills Dance Company was established in 1985. This group is a small sector of the studio comprised of about 30 students selected by audition each Spring. Members range in age from 8 to 18 and must be enrolled at the studio for one year prior to auditioning. Company offers dedicated dancers the opportunity to travel to conventions to take classes with professionals and compete on a regional level. They are active students participating in at least six hours of dance weekly and choosing dance as their activity of focus.
Members are selected based on attendance, performance, behavior, and dedication in normal classes as well as interactions with instructors and classmates. A dance company is a team. Just as sports teams require all players to attend practices, dance companies require their dancers to attend all classes and rehearsals and abide by policies and principles.
2022-23 Company Divisions
Mission & Features
- Provide opportunities to train as a team at an elevated level to improve technique and artistry.
- Instill the love of dance, learning, and performing and to create well-rounded dancers and individuals.
- Teach the importance of the process, not just the product.
- Take classes with industry professionals.
- Compete at regional competitions during the spring semester.
- Perform in annual recital and community events.
- Participate in all of the above plus parties, sleepovers, and MORE allowing them to build strong friendships and skills that last far past their time at the studio.
- Excessive absences will be handled by teachers and may result in being removed from parts or all of a dance, or dismissal.
- Consider schedule conflicts before trying out. It is difficult to choreograph and work as a team when attendance is poor.
- Pay attention, be dressed appropriately, and be ready on time to work and show respect to teachers and peers.
- Join our BAND app for all communication. You will receive an invite link if you are in Company.
- Be enrolled in ballet, tap, & jazz classes at Seven Hills at least one year prior to auditioning and while in company.
- Senior Company must also be enrolled in lyrical and/or modern.
- Participate in select community events, performances, and master classes throughout the year.
- Attend Summer Camps. Register online via our Summer Camp page.
- Attend August practices: Tues & Thurs from 4:30 – 6:30 PM.
- Attend Sept-May weekly practices: Fridays from 4:30 – 6:30 PM.
- Attend approx. three weekend competitions Feb-April. We try to attend some nearby (Roanoke) and some that may require further travel (North Carolina, DC, Maryland).
- The entire company performs in a Production number each year at recital, at competitions, and at other local events as needed.
- Senior Company also performs tap, jazz, and contemporary.
- Teen Company also performs tap and jazz.
- Junior Company also performs tap and jazz.
- Any extra dances outside of the above would require additional payment for entry fees, costume, & rehearsal time.
- Solo, duo, trios are by request only. Company teachers must approve these.
- Team Jacket (with name embroidered): $65. Orders due Aug 1. Size up for longer wear if desired!
- Competition earrings (pierced or clip-on): $15. Orders due Aug 1.
- To purchase, login to the Parent Portal & choose STORE from the Menu.
- $205 – Due monthly via auto-pay Aug 25 – May 25.
- Includes instruction in August & Fridays during the year, entry fees, event participation fees, company costumes, & convention class fees. Combined into one monthly fee for convenience & spread out as many months as possible.
- Outside of company fees, regular class tuition & recital costume fees will be due.
- Note for prior members: tuition for company instruction time that used to be added to regular classes is now included in this fee to keep class and company fees separate.
- False eyelashes and eyelash glue (local drugstore). Click for eyelash tutorial video.
- Stage make-up: foundation, concealer, blush, neutral eyeshadows, liner, mascara, and red lipstick.
- Hair supplies: gel, hairspray, brush, comb, and elastics and bobby pins that match hair color.
Solos, Duos, & Trios
- Choreographer’s fee due to teacher, not studio, at first rehearsal: $125 per dancer, per piece. Cash/check only.
- Rehearsals determined between student and teacher.
- Costume: $60. Auto-Pay October 15.
- Or, you may purchase your own costume or use an old one.
- Costume choices due September 15.
- Competition Entry fees: Auto-Pay February 15, March 15, & April 15.
- Solo fees – $120 per dancer, per competition.
- Duo/Trio fees – $75 per dancer, per competition.
Tryouts – Friday, April 28, 2023
- Tryouts are held each Spring at the studio. Must be enrolled at the studio one year prior to trying out.
- SIGN-UP: Click here to add dancer to audition list.
- TRYOUT FEE: $10 per dancer due at tryouts or before via methods below.
- Cash/check to Seven Hills Dance
- PayPal: email@example.com
- Venmo: @sevenhillsdance
- Offsets paying judges & declares committed interest in Dance Company.
- WE WANT: Dancers with potential who exhibit positive attitudes, consistent attendance, excellent work ethic, the ability to perform with personality, overall technique/skills, and a desire to learn at a quicker pace!
- WHAT TO EXPECT: Dancers will be observed during a warm-up so we may view form, lines, and technique. They will go across the floor with progressions and patterns (leaps, turns, kicks, etc.), and they will learn choreography to perform in small groups.
- ATTIRE: Wear tank or leotard with fitted dance shorts or leggings.
- SHOES/HAIR: Bring all dance shoes and put hair up away from face.
- RESULTS: Posted on Dance Company website page June 1.
- Use CURRENT studio level to determine tryout time.
- Senior Company (Levels 6 & Advanced): 4:30 – 5:30 PM
- Teen Company (Levels 3-5): 5:30 – 6:30 PM
- Junior Company (Elementary C Combo & Levels 1, 2): 6:30 – 7:30 PM
- Ages & times are a guidelines. Overall placement is up to Company teachers.