Our award winning Seven Hills Dance Company was established in 1985. This group is a small sector of the studio comprised of about 30 students selected by audition each Spring. Members range in age from 8 to 18 and must be enrolled at the studio for one year prior to being eligible. Company offers dedicated dancers the opportunity to travel to conventions to take classes with professionals and compete on a regional level. They are active students participating in at least six hours of dance weekly and choosing dance as their activity of focus.
Members are selected based on attendance, performance, behavior, and dedication in normal classes as well as interactions with instructors and classmates. A dance company is a team. Just as sports teams require all players to attend practices, dance companies require their dancers to attend all classes and rehearsals and abide by policies and principles.
2023-24 Company Divisions
Mission & Features
- Provide opportunities to train as a team at an elevated level to improve technique and artistry.
- Instill the love of dance, learning, and performing and to create well-rounded dancers and individuals.
- Teach the importance of the process, not just the product.
- Take classes with industry professionals.
- Compete at regional competitions during the spring semester.
- Perform in annual recital and community events.
- Participate in all of the above plus parties, sleepovers, and MORE allowing them to build strong friendships and skills that last far past their time at the studio.
- Excessive absences will be handled by teachers and may result in being removed from parts or all of a dance, or dismissal.
- Consider schedule conflicts before committing. It is difficult to choreograph and work as a team when attendance is poor.
- Pay attention, be dressed appropriately, and be ready on time to work and show respect to teachers and peers.
- Join our BAND app for all communication. You will receive an invite link if you are in Company.
- Be enrolled in ballet, tap, & jazz classes at Seven Hills at least one year prior to auditioning and while in company.
- Senior Company must also be enrolled in lyrical and/or modern.
- Participate in select community events, performances, and master classes throughout the year.
- Attend Summer Camps. Register online via our Summer Camp page.
- Attend August practices: Tues & Thurs from 5:00 – 7:00 PM.
- Attend Sept-May weekly practices: Fridays from 4:30 – 6:30 PM. Senior Co will also practice first Sat of each month from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM instead of that Fri on Sept 9, Oct 7, Nov 4, Dec 2, Jan 6, & Feb 3. Senior Co residency will practice during the school year on Wednesdays before Adv Modern from 6:15 – 6:45 PM.
- Attend approx. three weekend competitions Feb-April. We try to attend some nearby (Roanoke) and some that may require further travel (North Carolina, DC, Maryland). We may also attend one convention without competition.
- The entire company performs in a Production number each year at recital, at competitions, and at other local events as needed.
- Senior Company also performs tap, jazz, and contemporary.
- Teen Company also performs tap and jazz.
- Junior Company also performs tap and jazz.
- Any extra dances outside of the above would require additional payment for entry fees, costume, & rehearsal time.
- Solo, duo, trios are by request only. Company teachers must approve these.
- Team Jacket (with name embroidered): $65. Orders due Aug 1. Size up for longer wear if desired!
- Competition earrings (pierced or clip-on): $15. Orders due Aug 1.
- To purchase, login to the Parent Portal & choose STORE from the Menu.
- $205 – Due monthly via auto-pay Aug 25 – May 25.
- Includes instruction in August, Fridays + Senior Co Saturdays during the year, entry fees, event participation fees, company costumes, & convention class fees. Combined into one monthly fee for convenience & spread out as many months as possible.
- Outside of company, regular class tuition, (which now includes recital costume fees instead of a lump sum at the holidays!) will be due.
- False eyelashes and eyelash glue (local drugstore). Click for eyelash tutorial video.
- Stage make-up: foundation, concealer, blush, neutral eyeshadows, liner, mascara, and red lipstick.
- Hair supplies: gel, hairspray, brush, comb, and elastics and bobby pins that match hair color.
Solos, Duos, & Trios
- Choreographer’s fee due to teacher, not studio, at first rehearsal: $125 per dancer, per piece. Cash/check only.
- Rehearsals determined between student and teacher.
- If you work with an outside choreographer, their fees tend to be more expensive.
- Costume: $60. Auto-Pay October 15.
- Or, you may purchase your own costume or use an old one.
- Costume choices due September 15.
- Competition Entry fees: Auto-Pay February 15, March 15, & April 15.
- Solo fees – $120 per dancer, per competition.
- Duo/Trio fees – $75 per dancer, per competition.